Almond Butter + Date Balls (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
You guys. I moved to California! I'm here for six months for a full-time internship in the technology world that is Silicon Valley, and I could not be more excited or grateful to have this experience in front of me. Here are few things that have occurred in my life since I moved to the West Coast:
1.) When I first met my roommate and told her I'd brought Q-Tips for our shared bathroom, she hugged me.
2.) I joined the company gym and went to my first-ever TRX class on Wednesday night. It's been almost four days, and I still can't feel my abs. Or legs. Great.
3.) I've spent more time staring at Microsoft Excel than I ever have in my life, but I'm learning so much and am really improving my skills with it.
4.) On the first Friday at my new company, I had an appointment at the Ergonomics department. They helped me figure out the best height for my keyboard, computer, desk, and chair. Realigning your desk space in the best possible way for your body will help you mitigate future strains, health issues, and injuries. So cool!
Life out West is going really well so far. There's only one small dilemma...I haven't had chocolate since I departed New England last week. I need to fix this! What happened was that the grocery store I went to (when I got here) didn't have the type of chocolate that meets my high standards ;) I need to find my best friend, Trader Joe, stat. However, an upside is that these Almond Butter & Date Balls truly SAVED me during my long, coast-to-coast travel day and throughout this first hectic work week. Although they're not chocolatey, they're fudgy, a tad sweet, and the perfect, filling snack (or dessert).
Enjoy, my friends! I know you'll like this snack as much as I do, and I can't wait to continue writing updates on the blog and talking to you as this semester in California evolves.
ALmond Butter + Date balls (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free oats, if you'd like)
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large food processor (if you have a regular food processor, do the following steps in two batches), blend the oats for one minute to make oat flour
- After pitting the dates, add them in to the food processor and blend
- Add in the almond butter, vanilla, maple syrup, and sea salt
- Blend for one minute, turn power off, scrape the sides down if batter is getting stuck, and blend again for another minute (by this point, the batter will be a thick/fudgy/gooey cookie dough, Larabar-esque consistency)
- Remove from food processor and transfer to a bowl. Stir with a spatula to fully prepare the batter.
- Using a spoon or a tablespoon measurer, scoop out a 1 x 1-inch piece of dough, roll into a small ball, and place into a large Tupperware
- Repeat until all balls have been made
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!